Monday, April 13, 2009

Dear Spring, Thai Green Curry Skewers

The weather here's confused. All indications say 'spring!' rays of blinding sunshine, momentary shadows cast by jetting clouds, crisp lung-filling breezes, light showers...that said, snow is forecasted tomorrow. WTF! I know what your thinking, 'Take it easy, sister. Um, you live in MONTANA' but I can't help but panic when I remember last year we had snow in JUNE!
[deep breath]

At any rate, in an effort to coax the Spring gnomes to stay and bless us with the days of sun and glory, I've been cooking al fresco with every opportunity. How this act encourages spring to stay? Not sure... but damn it, as long as spring teases I stuff dollars, what's a gal to do? Back when we lived in Providence we grilled on our beloved Smoky Joe and since leaving it behind with a friend we've mourned its passing. We salvaged this piece of crap

from a trash heap and at the point when I began to question my fire making abilities I found this Kingsford fellow orphaned in our garage. He draws like a smoker's first morning drag. A real champ.


So the other night after a day in the garden I made these boys. Try 'em out. They're easy to make, uber tasty and you'll feel good knowing that Spring gnomes appreciate your efforts.



Tasty Paste

2 T. peanut butter
I used a scoop of "creamy" style butter Edo's family left behind the last time they came to visit. I think in this case the processed stuff is preferable to the freshly ground kind we usually get; in terms of both sweetness and smooth consistency. Typically I use a few tablespoons of coconut milk rather than peanut butter but the larder was fresh out so I peanut buttah it was.
2 t. Thai green curry paste
You can buy tubs of this a most Asian grocers. Absolutely clutch. Incidentally, don't buy this brand it sucks.
2 t. fish sauce
2 t. sugar
1 t. canola oil, to lube up the peanut butter omit if using coconut milk

1 lb. of meat, slice thinly in 1-2" lengths we used pork but beef and chicken work well too

Mix paste ingredients in a large bowl, add the meat, mix well to thoroughly coat meat. Skewer and grill over glowing hardwood coals for 10-15 minutes, turn frequently until fully cooked and caramelized. Serve with rice, greens and My Go-to Thai Sauce for extra points.

My Go-to Thai Sauce
1 lime, juiced
2 t. fish sauce

1 thai chili, finely chopped, or a good squirt of Sriacha sauce
2 t. sugar
1 small garlic clove, minced
a splash of water

Mix the lot together until the sugar is dissolved.

Dip and consume.
[snarffing pig rooting sounds]

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails