Sunday, August 8, 2010

A Trek in the Park: the land of make-believe

It's 4 pm and I'm an hour early and the best spots are already taken.  I squeezed into a grassy patch front row stage left at Woodlawn Park's 2nd annual Trek in the Park, essentially a Star Trek play.  Today's episode: Space Seed.

Let me start by saying *gulp* I'm not exactly a fan of Star Trek.  But I 've always liked Spock's style and was curious, so I went.  This is what I found:

A gal who belts an impressive theme song

Spock and Captain Kirk.  Kirk seated in a chair very similar to these.  Other inventive props (enhancement via audience imagination) included a door frame establishing 'the Bridge' and painted retro kitchen chairs carried onstage by the actors.  Teleportation is apparently very simple process requiring standing very still and a request to Scotty to cue shimmering music, y voila arrival to your distant planet.

The scene was festively summer.  In the crowd, some sported homemade Starfleet uniforms, others munched on tamales and pasta salads.  I sat next to McCoy's dad a we chatted about the turn out and  the well trained agility dog running through the park.  Later a roller girl with rainbow-striped tights would climb a tree to get a better seat.   We all came for one purpose— to watch adults pretend they were on a mission in space.  I'm sure we did Mr. Rogers proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails