Saturday, April 16, 2011

Springing

 
Because spring is glorious and it's my first in Japan, here are my favorite schmaltzy photos of our hanami, the simple tradition of celebrating spring's arrival with a picnic under the sakura trees.
Edo and I walked to Takinomiya, our neighborhood park and choose a spot-for-two - they even had lanterns.
We munched on sandwiches and people watched, soaking-in a year's worth of cherry blossom emphemeralness.  I later took pictures and so did everyone else.
It seemed appropriate that the blossoms came late this year, about a week later than in years past.  I talked with a few students about festivities in the shadow of the earthquake/tsunami disaster, and the consensus is that 'life goes on' because it must.  In respect for the disaster, celebrations throughout Japan were subdued; but in presence of such fleeting splendor, it was natural to feel optimistic for its future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails