Tuesday, April 10, 2012

round & round

It looks like an empty lot

but if you look a little closer you'll spot these prehistoric confirmers of spring.

Called つくし tsukushi in Japanese these spore-bearing stalks of a variety of horsetail (Equisetum arvense) are edible and delicious. 
It was my ceramics teacher Arai-Sensei who taught me how to collect, clean, and prepare tsukushi.  A year later, my belly full with our lil' spore, Edo and I went collecting them again.  On our way home who did we run into but Arai-Sensei (whom I hadn't seen in months) and after a brief exchange of be-wells and take-cares we continued on our way.   Later I couldn't help but admire our tsukushi, dusting green spores in a bowl made in Sensei's class.  Isn't it lovely how cycles complete themselves?


2 comments:

  1. Interesting plant...I've heard of horsetail, but never seen it--not any variety of it...and did not know it was edible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched your latest youtube video--Anzac Cookies, but couldn't figure out where to leave a comment. They look delicious.

    Was wondering--is your oven a convection/microwave combination? I know from watching your videos that most Japanese homes do not have the larger ovens like I use here in the U.S.

    AND...I love the bowls that held your ingredients. So pretty. You make everything look so artful and graceful.

    Sorry to be so verbose :).

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails