Sunday, May 1, 2011

Well I'll Be Damned: bagging your own groceries

This is a bagging station. You arrive here after you've buy your groceries at the market. 
You see, in Japan you pack your own groceries, some stores even require you to bring your own shopping bag or purchase one for 5¥.
Each station is well-equipped with packing supplies – paper to wrap breakables, a damp rag to help fingers open clingy produce bags, clear tape, and cardboard boxes.
The system works for many reasons one of which is, relative to the States people buy smaller amounts of food, so there are no waits or traffic jams.  Oddly enough, I find I like packing my own groceries. What do you think?  Is it better to keep costs down and pack-your-own or do you prefer the service of having your packed tomatoes at the bottom?

2 comments:

  1. This pay-for-a-bag nonsense is starting to irk me. At a "discount" supermarket it's to be expected.

    Recently, however, it's the Fugi's and Jusco's that are implementing the measure. These two supermarkets are historically more expensive.

    To add to my insult, the discount supermarkets, the kind that just cut the tops off of boxes and often use nothing more than boxes of products as shelves give me all the free bags I need.

    As far as bagging myself, I've always preferred that. Even back home... but there it was the discount place that charged for my bags. arg.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm...it's a mixed bag, isn't it? (har dee har har) In the end we all benefit from less plastic, no? Mostly, I find it interesting that it's the 5¥ that really MAKES me bring a bag, even with my good intentions. I'm sure an economist would say 'I told you so.'

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails